Restoring with Acronis

bluto1 22:05 10 Dec 08

Up to now I've backed up my files etc on CD & DVD. If I use Acronis and back up now, then in a couple of days time back up again what happens to the first back up I've made. Is it overwritten or is it a separate back up?

bluto1 23:40 10 Dec 08

Sorry, should be "Backing up with Acronis"

DieSse 23:51 10 Dec 08

"Is it overwritten or is it a separate back up?"

Depends what type of backup you are doing, and to what type of media.

If, for instance, you're doing a whole drive image, then you can choose a new file name for each backup. I do that for three generations, them I delete the first, and so on, so I always have three backups.

If you do incremental updates to the whole drive image, only the changes are backed up.

I backup to a hard drive - so I can delete old backups as and when I like.

There's so many ways of doing it, it all depends what you choose - Acronis does things almost any way you like.

mooly 07:32 11 Dec 08

I do running image backups ( incremental ) on a notebook saving them to the D partition. Saved the day on a few occasions I can tell you.
The best solution is a backup to a separate HDD away from the main PC.
If you use incremental backups ( the best way IMO ) only do around 6 or so max before starting a new sequence. Incrementals are quick, takes only a couple of minutes to run every 3 or 4 days. And never defrag and then continue with the incrementals without starting a new sequence off.
I also back up personal stuff to an SD card regularly as well.

mooly 07:33 11 Dec 08

Acronis tutorials,
click here

David4637 14:00 11 Dec 08

DON'T DO ACRONIS INCREMENTAL BACKUPS, its a big mistake, the risk of file corruption/restore problems goes up CONSIDERABLY.Time saving is MINIMAL. David

mooly 17:03 11 Dec 08

Have to disagree there based on my experience. I always use incrementals, new one each month. The full backup takes around 12 gb of space for me with each incremental being small, around a few hundred kbs. The full back up takes around 18 mins to run, the following incrementals around a couple of minutes on average.
Never had any corruption issues ever. It has worked flawlessly every time I have needed it, enabling you to restore to any point in the backup tree.
Anyone else had any problems I wonder ?

bluto1 18:59 11 Dec 08

Thank you all for the input, and mooly thanks for the link to the tutorials. I like DieSse's way of giving each backup a new file name and deleting the oldest after 3 generations. I will adopt that system on an external HDD.Thanks again.

mooly 08:13 12 Dec 08

Whatever you choose you have to have TOTAL confidence in it and how to use it. And that means not waiting until you need it, so dare I say, have play, do some backups, and restore from them.
Going back to the incrementals, the first one you run is a "full" image anyway, the starting point if you will, and then any others you run under the same "file name" just add the differences in a "tree" type structure.
Don't discount the incrementals, they are the ideal approach. A full image take quite a while to run, and takes a lot of space.
Monthly incrementals give you a "full" backup at the start of each month and you add to these as and when you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5