Restored Win98 - cant access CDRom

ronhud 23:24 18 Feb 03

I have just had to restore Win98 (c:\windows)from a backup I took some weeks ago. Now my CD drive does not appear in Explorer. I have tried to update the driver but Windows tell me I have the best driver already installed.

In Device Manager I have the yellow flags on my CD and also Floppy, C:,D:,e: drives. The latter 4 seem to function ok.

I hope someone can point to an explanation and fix for these problems.

Thanks
Ron Etherington.

woodchip 23:30 18 Feb 03

Click on and Remove All yellow mark's in Device manager then restart your comp and check them again

ronhud 00:24 19 Feb 03

Thanks woodchip for the quick response. I tried with the CDRom - in Device Manager removed it then rebooted. Windows didnt do anything diff on boot, I looked in Device Manager and there was no CDRom controller so I then went to Add/Remove hardware, Windows presented a list of devices but the CDRom wasnt there and the search for new hardware routine didnt find anything so I then went for manual selection. Selected the CDRom (MKEPanasonic) and Windows built a database etc. After reboot I was back where I started - a yellow flagged entry in DMan and no CD in Explorer.

The startup disk installs The MSCDEX driver and from DOS I can access the CD so I guess the cable connections etc are ok.

Ron Etherington

woodchip 15:56 19 Feb 03

Have you got a motherboard CD disc if you have try loading the IDE controller drivers from it

Philip2 17:27 19 Feb 03

Have you got the jumper set to master or slave??

ronhud 17:33 19 Feb 03

Thanks - I thought of downloading drivers from Toshiba before your suggestion and this worked and the CD is now available!

However the yellow flags are still there in Device Manager for all drive controllers except an entry for VIA Bus master PC IDE controller so I am wondering if this does the work and the other entries (Primary controller, secondary etc) are superfluous.

Ron Etherington

woodchip 18:47 19 Feb 03

Download and install VIA Bus master 4 in 1 drivers

woodchip 18:48 19 Feb 03

PS it's a patch for the VIA chipset bug

ronhud 08:43 21 Feb 03

Thanks for all the help - I have now found the reason so for anyone browsing with a simialr prob here it is.

I tried installing GoBack and it reported that Win98 had set my hard disks for 'DOS Compatibility Mode', I discovered that on the disk properties/performance screen there is a check box 'Disable all 32 bit protected-mode drivers' and it was checked!

Unchecking cured the problem and put my disk access back to its normal speed. If anyone wants to follow this up I strongly recommend looking at the following first:-
click here;EN-US;130179

Ron Etherington

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…