Restore from Vista backup to new PC

obi wan 13:19 08 Mar 09

I am using Vista, and back up to an external harddrive every day using Vista backup.
When or if my PC fails can I boot up a new PC and just restore from the external harddrive, or is it not as simple as that? This PC is getting ols and unstable and I want to be ready for the worst.

bremner 13:39 08 Mar 09

Look here click here at the "Complete PC Backup" section

hastelloy 17:58 08 Mar 09

as it will have all the wrong drivers.

2bathred 22:34 08 Mar 09

I may be wrong here but the backup only does files, not programs, so if you go to a new PC you will have to have an OS running with all the programs you had on the old PC. That is how I understand my backup under Vista works.

mooly 08:44 09 Mar 09

Think Vista Ultimate does the disc image, non of the other versions do though.
Sounds like a job for Acronis True Image or similar, just clone your HDD, but as you say that's an image with all drivers etc from the old system, which may be more trouble than it's worth.

bremner 09:14 09 Mar 09

Look again at my link.

obi wan 10:09 09 Mar 09

Thanks for the replies.
If I did get a new PC could I open the backup set from the original PC and just cherry pick the stuff that I wanted?

obi wan 13:10 09 Mar 09

Also, my "back up and restore centre" only offers the back up files option, not the complete pc option. I schedule an automatic back up every day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…