Restore Point on XP-Please help?

buel 22:11 06 Oct 08

Hi there, i recently read somewhere that a good way of saving/creating Hard Disk space is to minimize your system restore point, please can anyone help me with how to do this, and if it is advisable?
-Craig

MAJ 22:25 06 Oct 08

For XP:

Right-click "My Computer", choose Properties > System Restore tab > Settings button, then move the slider down to the desired amount.

woodchip 22:29 06 Oct 08

Set it to about 8%

MAJ 22:54 06 Oct 08

Another way to save space is to disable Hibernation. The hiberfil.sys file created when hibernation is activated, takes up the same amount of disk space as the amount of physical memory you have installed. So if you have 2GB of memory installed on your PC, the hiberfil.sys file will use 2GB of hard disk space.

To turn off Hibernation, go to Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate tab and untick the "enable Hibernation" option, click Apply and OK to exit.

Stuartli 00:12 07 Oct 08

My understanding of Hibernation is that it requires 256MB of system resources.

Re System Restore. When XP was released around six or seven years ago, the default System Restore setting was 12 per cent - that was at a time when hard drive capacities were extremely modest.

In the case of today's mega gigabytes hard drives, a much smaller percentage can be Enabled; my 320GB hard drive, for instance, is currently set at two per cent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced