Restore Point and other program histories deleted?

Howard's Way 21:55 06 Jul 10

Over the last few months I have noticed about once a month that my Zone Alarm security suite is reverting back to its original settings, also I noticed today that I only have one restore point at 12.20 6/7/2010.

I have run various Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware Zone Alarm and Superantispyware and Malwarebytes all with the latest updates. All state I have no virus or malaware

Then what struck me that perhaps something is running automatically each month, I have look at Disk Cleanup and I have nothing in scheduled tasks.

How would I go about finding if something is running? I have also noticed that from time to time there are a number of .bak files in my re-cycle bin.

Anyone got any ideas?

john bunyan 22:06 06 Jul 10

What Operating System?

Howard's Way 22:13 06 Jul 10

Sorry! Windows XP SP3

john bunyan 22:48 06 Jul 10

I am not sure. This happened regularly when I had dual boot XP and W7. I assume you have done a scan with MAB and SAS in safe mode?

john bunyan 22:51 06 Jul 10

Worth a look:

click here

Howard's Way 19:33 10 Jul 10

I have run SAS and MAB in F8 safe mode nothing found.

Although I have System Restore on and Zone Alarm settings. Zone Alarm SSuite reverts back to orignal settings every few days.
System Restore will only keep a days restore point. And *.bak files are sent to the recycle bin on a regular basis.

I am sure there is some disk clean up program running in the background every few days. But I don't know what it is.

Anyone got any ideas?

northumbria61 23:02 10 Jul 10

Do you have ccleaner installed ?

Howard's Way 11:47 11 Jul 10

Hi there

Yes I do have ccleaner installed, I have had ccleaner for a number of years but this problem has only started over the last few months.

Also I have looked at ccleaner settings and there does not seem to be any auto run facility.

northumbria61 13:56 11 Jul 10

System Restore will only keep a days restore point.

This could be part of your problem.

In ccleaner go to OPTIONS - EXCLUDE - click ADD button - from that "Exclude Box" navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Restore and click OK.

northumbria61 14:01 11 Jul 10

Some programs automatically keep a backup of your files, and each time it creates a new backup, it will automatically delete the older backup and send it to the Recycle Bin. (.bak)

If you right click on one of the .bak files, you should be able to look under Properties and see what "type" of file it is.

Howard's Way 14:50 13 Jul 10

Well yesterday pm. I got a system restore error message to say it was suspended. I re-booted my computer and all the system restores, including the latest one were gone and Zone alarm was back to basic settings, no scan etc.

I looked at the event log and it stated that restore have suspended because there was not enough memory. Which is strange because I have 40GB free out of 160GB.

This is really annoying and should be easy to locate this problem but it has got me beat.

Any ideas? Excluding reformating and re-install!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now