Restore from partition or disc

Binnacle 11:21 27 Aug 08

My Dell inspiron 530 came with a restore disc as well as a restore partition on the hd. When restoring from the partition all the bundled progs , which I don’t want or use ,have to be uninstalled again.
If I use the supplied disc will it also contain stuff other than just the vista operating system ?
Many thanks

DJ Techz 11:38 27 Aug 08

do it from the disc but if you dont need to do it, DONT. Make sure your hard drive isnt compressed if you have to do it.

Binnacle 11:56 27 Aug 08

Thanks, but is the restore disc clean of bundled progs or is it the same as the partition.

ambra4 12:08 27 Aug 08

The restore disc is the same as the restore partition what ever the computer came with be install

sinbads 12:32 27 Aug 08

Restoring back to factory settings is just a pain you will get all the bundled software and will spend a lot of time installing MS updates any service packs, reloading the software you had,etc the list goes on until your pc is how you want it.

Save yourself all that bother and buy acronis true image 11 click here make an image if you have it as you want it.... or as many images as you like... if you have problems you simply restore the image which will be exacly as it was when you made the image.

Peace of mind for £19

lotvic 12:38 27 Aug 08

On your Operating System DVD does it say, as per this pic of DVD click here

'The software is already installed on your computer.
Only use this DVD to reinstall the operating system on Dell PC

This DVD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers' ?

Apart from the above why not just use the 'Dell De-Crapifier' available free from click here

ambra4 12:57 27 Aug 08

PC Decrapifier will work on all computers not just Dell

click here

Simsy 13:24 27 Aug 08

restored 2, different, Dell PCs, using the supplied OS disc, not using the partition... (both machines were 3-4 years old, both running XP home)

Using the disc did not install all the unwanted "crap", but just the OS, (with no activation needed)... in fact I also had to install the drivers seperately as well. These were provided on a seperate "drivers" disc, and I have to say I found the web page interface for doing this to be very effective.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 13:25 27 Aug 08

that all the previously installed progs were provided seperately on CD to install, if wanted.

Regards,

Simsy

Binnacle 14:02 27 Aug 08

Thanks all ,loads of help.
lotvic ,The disc I have is same as the one you showed. I think I will try a clean instal this weekend as this pc keeps locking up and freezing ,so a clean start is overdue.
Is there anything I should look out for or is it straightforward like xp ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos