restore my computer to factory settings

i am having loads of trouble with my computer i want to clear my computer and start again from the factory settings i dont know how to do it i have tried system restore but it does not go all the way back can anyone help me
thanks keith.

jchm 16:45 14 Sep 03

My PC has had some major crashes and is now very unpredictable, with lots of software problems.

I'd like to format the Hard Drive and reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

Is there an 'idiots guide' out there?, coz thats what I am!

Cheers
John

choffe 16:46 14 Sep 03

create a rescue disk and try that, this should allow you to restore your system to the manufacturers settings but you will need to back up any files you want to keep, cos they'll be gone for good..

thanks for the advice choffe how do i create a rescue disk.

SEASHANTY 17:04 14 Sep 03

Does your PC not have the manufacturers logo and "Information about your PC" listed in PROGRAMS. This Medion PC I am using does and it specifically tells you how to go back to a factory restore. Most PC's should have something similar. The exact details will differ by PC maker.

wee eddie 17:17 14 Sep 03

of everything you want to retain.

Did it come with any CD's? Have you an instruction book? Have you looked for any instructions that came with the PC?

choffe 17:40 14 Sep 03

stick a floppy in the drive click on my computer right click floppy drive format and (xp only) you have the choice to create boot disk. this'll do the trick
if not xp, most antivirus programs have the option to create rescue disk, this should work the same..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced