Restore mode not working --drive letters changed

SparkyJack 08:55 18 Jun 14

An HP desktop has me my way 'in trouble'. After an initial poke I decided the easy way out is to save files to a pen drive and use the 'restore' mode.

On boot up the HP start screen gives F numbers for BIOS/restore(f11) etc.

So f11 was pressed ----and nothing happened

Looking at 'my computer' and looking into 'D' revealed an empty drive with a request to insert medial looking into all other 'drive' letters --builtin multi card reader--showed all the ''recovery files residing in 'G'

So. Wruill renaming 'G' to 'Do' bring things back to normal or is there some thing more sinister afoot?

SparkyJack 18:15 18 Jun 14

Any thoughts please

BRYNIT 20:10 18 Jun 14

When your computer boot into the recovery menu it does not read the drive the same way as Windows so changing the drive letter wouldn't make a difference.

Have you changed the size of the partitions on the drive, if so this can sometimes prevent the recovery from working. Another possibility is a corrupt file preventing the recovery from working properly.

Did you created a set of recovery disks? If you have use the recovery disks as these hopefully will reset the drive and restore the computer back to factory default.

SparkyJack 05:57 19 Jun 14

Brynit

Thank you for your thoughts.

It is not my computer,but one from my flock Of 'Silver surfers',who I am certain would not know the answers.

I'll change drive letters for starters and take it from there.

BRYNIT 09:42 19 Jun 14

You might want to try creating a set of recovery disks. If a set has already been done do a search on creating a second set of recovery disks should help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…