Restore files from W98 to XP!!!!!

TonyV 19:03 27 Sep 08

A few years ago I upgraded from W98 to XP. In so doing I did the correct thing of backing up all my data files etc via Windows Backup facility. I now want to have a look at some of those files that were backed up but find the system now on XP will not look at W98 backups. Thank you very much Mr Microsoft. What a way to run a battleship!

They seem incapable of giving a patch or alternative system that will enable me to look/restore these files. Can anyone help please?

The file extension is .QIC.

Thanks

TonyV

Technotiger 19:13 27 Sep 08

click here and scroll down to paragraph 5.

VoG II 19:17 27 Sep 08

Also see click here

TonyV 20:45 27 Sep 08

Thanks for your input.
Technotiger, I looked at your link but could not see the Backup MyPC programme.

VoG™. I tried your link and got the Backup facility OK did what it said in the instructions, but cannot get it to work properly. It keeps telling me that I have not tested it/set it correctly yet and it goes thro' the procedure to complete this operation. However, it steadfastly refuses to do it and says the disks are defective, yet I can copy to them! It will not allow the check to be done on just a few files even tho' they are the only ones to be checked, it insists on trying to back up the whole directory backed up before it tests the restore facility. I'm afraid I've now given up with that. It is far too difficult to get it operating. After six attempts, I have to say enough is enough!!

Cheers

TonyV

Technotiger 20:51 27 Sep 08
  TonyV 20:55 27 Sep 08

Thanks for that. I see where the problem was now, it is called Back on Track 3!

I'll wait for a bit and see if there are any other free programmes that may be called up. I've just spent money getting an external Floppy drive to recover these files so would like to keep expenditure down to a minimum.

Cheers, and thanks for the link.

TonyV

Technotiger 20:58 27 Sep 08

Cheers - Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…