restore to factory settings does it delete spyware

Internetwhizzkid 17:43 18 Jan 07

Hi,
I am just wondering, if i restored my pc back to the dell factory settings will it remove all of the spyware that my computer might have? will it still be there?

Please let me know

Thanks
Ben

Gongoozler 17:47 18 Jan 07

I think the spyware will only be removed if you reformat the hard drive and reinstall your operating system with the restore disk or partition.
Spyware generally isn't too difficult to remove anyway.
If you have large amounts of it I suspect that your computer isn't very well protected.

recap 17:48 18 Jan 07

There should be no need to restore your system, you can download free utilities do rid your system of spyware.

Adaware is a nice little utility that can rid your system of spyware etc, click here for a free download.

Internetwhizzkid 17:50 18 Jan 07

I know all about spyware anyway but i am restoring anyway due to software that was uninstalled that i didn't removed etc it does say that all programmes will be deleted etc so willl it remove all the spyware?

Thanks

recap 17:54 18 Jan 07

I think formatting would be easier to do than reverting back to factory settings? But, to answer your question if I can, I do believe that reverting back to factory settings will remove all data.

when i had a problem i did a full factory restore a full format and still had major problems, a guy from work ran a program (sorry dont know what) but it took 3 hours! i think malware is designed to cling to everything

Taff™ 10:53 19 Jan 07

It definately removes all data, including viruses and spyware. Formatting the drive might remove some of the necessary files for system recovery discs to restore to ex-factory settings - be careful! Back up your data files first !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 19 Jan 07

Most (not all) computers that have a factory restall program actually format the partitions (except the restore partition) and then install a gost image of the original drive.

Therefore the answer is yes all spyware and viruses should be eliminated. of course all your datafiles photos emails also go as well.

If you back these up you may also inadvertently save the virus or spayware hidden in one of the files.

Far better to use proper antisyware / antivirus to get rid of any problems.

driving man 15:57 19 Jan 07

Unless your pc left the factory with anti spyware and anti virus pre-installed then as has been said all programs that you have loaded will be lost including any files you have created inchuding your browsers favourites.

Suggest you get paper and pencil (remember those??) and write down all the programs you have loaded from disc or downloaded from the net otherwise its easy to miss something when it comes to re-installing. Obviously i you play games then saved positions, scores etc will be lost as well
Chris

Kate B 16:04 19 Jan 07

Easier though to keep crapware off your machine in the first place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…