Restore factory settings

Ian in Northampton 16:38 PM 24 Feb 12

I just acquired a secondhand Packard Bell all-in-one PC for my wife (shhh - don't tell her). The previous owner has, inevitably, left her mark on it in various ways - desktop, widgets, folder names, self-installed software. I'm thinking that I might use the 'restore factory settings' option that is available on boot-up so taht it looks like a new machine.

But, I've always operated on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

Nothing can go wrong, Shirley?

KRONOS the First 16:42 PM 24 Feb 12

Who are you calling Shirley?LOL

It won't be broke if you restore and your good lady will have a nice shiny new PC without someone else's clutter.

Ian in Northampton 16:51 PM 24 Feb 12

Thanks Chronus. 'Airplane' = great movie>> :-) In fact, I've already made restore discs for the PC in its current state - not ideal, but better than nothing in an emergency - so that makes me feel a bit better. But job one, if I do do a factory restore, will be to make a new set. I can't believe the previous owners didn't - but, from my experience, that is very frequently the case.

lotvic 18:42 PM 24 Feb 12

I did a PB factory restore on my nephew's 5/6 year old laptop. I was able to make new restore discs. It became as first received and all options were there.

KRONOS the First 18:45 PM 24 Feb 12

Ian in Northampton

As I have always built my own PC's bar my first I have never ever used restore disks and if I have a PC for a repair which involves a factory reset or some such I tend to do a clean reinstall of Windows usually finding the drivers beforehand which tend to be more up to date than the ones on the restore disks. I must admit finding drivers can be a major job in itself particularly with the older mass market PC's with there generic motherboards. All part of computing worlds rich tapestry.

Ian in Northampton 19:47 PM 24 Feb 12

LOtvic: good news - thanks. (It's also reassuring to hear that PB kit lasts that long - a few years ago, they had a pretty bad reputation. But the price for this, with a 20" touch screen, was just too good to walk away from...

Chronus: with just about every other PC in the house (and there are way too many...) I would do as you do, and install Windows and the drivers. However, as this one comes with the restore facility, and as I don't have a spare copy of W7 hanging about (and nor am I prepared to buy one) then I'm happy to do it this way. I'm a great one, btw, for believing that if a driver works, then it's fine by me. Only if I experienced driver-related problems would I look at finding the latest ones.

rdave13 19:51 PM 24 Feb 12
  Ian in Northampton 20:02 PM 24 Feb 12

rdave: thanks. Well, I've always been a very happy (to the tune of two laptops and two netbooks) acer user, so fingers crossed...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things