restore factory settings?

Daxsimus 20:56 03 Jul 08

Hi,
I have just sold my laptop and need to know that I have erased all trace of my files that were on it.
I have used the recovery disk that came with the computer to re-install windows but that said it may contain old files left over from previous windows installation. So i used the samsung recovery installed on the laptop. Do you think this is enough to clear my data? Or is there something else I should do to make sure?
Thanks
Dax

grey george 21:03 03 Jul 08

Download and run ccleaner. If you used it for online banking or other personal uses I would over write the hdd several times, copy a large video file until the disk is full then delete and do it again.

Technotiger 21:03 03 Jul 08

You could download/install the free Glary Utilities click here then open the main window and choose Modules>File Shredder and then click on the Wipe Free Space tab. You can then follow on-screen directions to finally clean the so-called free area of your drive.

Daxsimus 21:10 03 Jul 08

Thanks guys after that should I re- install windows again?

grey george 21:13 03 Jul 08

If use the app. Technotiger linked to you will not need to. But the more over writing you give the disk the harder it will be to recover info. from it. If you have the time go for the re-install.

MarvintheAndroid 21:15 03 Jul 08

No need unless you are a government agent or something. The shredder will wipe the free space previously used up by your files etc, and you have already replaced all your windows settings with a factory default setup. Re-installing windows over the top won't make much difference.

Marv

Technotiger 21:22 03 Jul 08

No need to re-install windows.

Daxsimus 22:20 03 Jul 08

Thanks all.
Dax

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…