restore factory settings???!

lewis187 14:44 06 Oct 04

how can i restore factory settings on a pc without deleting xp as i dont have the xp disc but would like to restore factory settings

xania 14:56 06 Oct 04

Do you mean that you want to set the OS back to the way it was or reset the BIOS to the way that was. To deal with the latter first, if you go into the BIO, you will find a option to reset to factory settings; alternatively you can remove the small battery on the motherboard a return it after about 30 minutes. But this will not necesarily be as you first recieved the PC if the builder amended the original settings. So far as a software reset is concerned, you will need either the original software or a system restore CD, either of which should have been supplied when your bought the PC. If they never gave you one, and some companies cut corners in this way, then there's nothing you can do apart from trying to get them to supply one under warranty or extra payment.

rawprawn 14:57 06 Oct 04

What kind of computer ? if it came with XP loaded then it shouldn't delete it if you return it to factory settings, but you would lose all your data such as addresses files etc

rawprawn 15:00 06 Oct 04

I'm thinking about Mesh in particular. My friend has one and there is an option on boot (F11 I think) to return to factory settings. He has no XP CD

JonnyTub 15:09 06 Oct 04

hidden partitions still usually require a disk of some sort to access them don't they?

colberly 15:30 06 Oct 04

If so then insert into floppy drive and follow the instruction.
My PC came without a CD butI have this option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…