Restore Disk

Boy Zone 20:34 23 Dec 03

Can some please advise?
My neighbour's PC has one C HD, and yet for some reason there now appears to be a D drive, which is shown up as Restore Drive. I have no idea why this is there. I did think about just deleting it for him, but a message appears informing me that I should NOT delete. My neighbour is not sure how or what he did to cause this apparent D drive to appear.
He is using XP, with norton utilities, I did think that Ghost might have been the cause, but again I'm sure.
He is into his 80's and has coped quite well since only having a PC for the last 3 years.

Jester2K 20:39 23 Dec 03

He didn't do anything. This is a hidden partition that is setup by the manufacturer to enable him to restore the PC back to factory settings should the worst happen.

Somewhere he must have a Restore CD and / or floppy. This will use that hidden partition. Delete it and you might regret it.

MichelleC 20:40 23 Dec 03

Some makers have a hidden partition for restore purposes - unless I'm mistaken xp disc will restore back to factory settings if used (losing data etc).

Gongoozler 20:43 23 Dec 03

Hi Boy Zone. Right click on "My Computer", select Properties - Select the Device Manager tab, click on the + alongside "Disk drives", select the hard drive (probably called GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47), right click and select Properties, click the settings tab. In the "Current drive letter assignment" box will be all the letters assigned to the drive. If there is a C and a D, then Norton has introduced a backup partition.

Boy Zone 20:49 23 Dec 03

If this is as you say, can I delete this drive?

Jester2K 20:51 23 Dec 03

How can you prove if its a Norton backup partition or the manufacturers restore partition?

Boy Zone 20:54 23 Dec 03

good point, all I know is that the Restore Drive has been allocated 5GB of his 60Gb HD.May not be much, but I did'nt know why it should be there.
I'll await your guys answer to this one.

Jester2K 21:46 23 Dec 03

Well you've had two explanations.

"May not be much"

Best to leave it maybe?

VoG II 21:50 23 Dec 03

If this is a hidden partition presumably you wouldn't be able to see it using normal Windows tools.

However, unless you know exactly what it is, I would leave well alone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…