restore computer to factory settings

zero1 16:56 04 Jul 06

xp home

have computer system that seems to be badly corrupted (not loggin on properly, programs not opening, crashing, system restore points disappearing etc. would like to restore it to factory settings, however it didn't come with disc.
I understand pressing F9 or F10 on booting up does this?
Is this true?

golucky 17:19 04 Jul 06

Pressing various keys on booting up is the way to access the BIOS but in the absence of a Windows XP 'Restore Disc' I think I'd first try to restore Registry settings with the aid of something like the product advertised at click here. I've used this product to good effect on many occasions and for regular maintenance. Otherwise, I should contact your PC supplier for a restore disc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 04 Jul 06

Some computer makers install a hidden partition that can be accessed by F10 at boot up, it depends on who made your PC.

zero1 17:53 04 Jul 06

IQON Technologies
XP Home
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.93GHz 480MB of RAM
Purchased from Tesco

have tried various registry fixes:
system mechanic
registry mechanic
has not made a difference, problem reappears a couple of days later.

Is it safe to use F10, really do not want to pay for the shop or someone to do this for me.

cheers

citadel 18:14 04 Jul 06

My old pc did not have a windows disc but it came with a restore pack, a cd and a floppy disc that reset the pc to the same as the day as you got it.

ed-0 18:23 04 Jul 06

" click here

Technical support|software|How to reload Windows XP - iQon Technologies System Recovery

System Recovery – No Format

On boot, press F10. This will launch the System Recovery.

Choose the “Advanced Options” button. “System Recovery – No Format”, will reinstall Windows XP but will back up all your files. Again you can exit at this stage before you run the Recovery.

Choose “Next” and “yes” to run the Recovery. Afterwards when you restart Windows XP, it is back at the out of box mode (as if the PC was new), type in your COA number, Computer Name, and User names. In Windows, open Windows Explorer and browse to “My Old Directory Structure” to find your old data files. "

from click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 04 Jul 06

Have you tried running repair console from the recovery partition. Just press F10 when turning on the PC and run receovery, this does not delete any of the user files, but replaces any windows files that may be corrupt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced