Restarting Xp

Les 21:45 21 Nov 04

I had to restart my computer by using the Restart button (Start/Turn off Computer/Restart) and, when it had restarted I found that the cursor had froze and the computer apparently uncontrollable - to get out of this I had to swicth the computer off and then, after a pause, on again.

Has someone experienced the same problem?

Night Ryder 21:52 21 Nov 04

If this has only happend once and a complete swith off fixed the problem then you are probably OK. If the problem persists, you probably have a problem. In which case I suggest you forst take a look at device manager to make sure there are no problems there.

Les 22:06 21 Nov 04

Thanks for the quick reply, I've checked and everything appears to be in order in the Device Manager

Technotiger 22:10 21 Nov 04

Hi, I think most of us have experienced this or a similar problem at some time, often more than once. This may not be very helpful I know, but you are not alone. Hope your is just a one-off.
There are numerous reasons for this happening.

Technotiger 22:13 21 Nov 04

ps: frozen cursor on mine was caused by dodgy wireless mouse.

JIM 22:26 21 Nov 04

What was the system doing before you had to use the, Restart button to Start/Turn off Computer/Restart etc.?

Agree, if it's just a one off,i would not worry to much at this time.When you have to turn/switch of in a hurry windows would not be able to clear the registry etc.at the time. May be worth having a gander in the event viewer to see what was logged at the time of the problem.

A sfc /scannow to check the systems file would not do any harm.

Night Ryder 22:32 21 Nov 04

I've worked with PC for years and this kind of thing can happen. Very often no particular cause can be identified. I have three systems at home and at one or time or another I've had a ... how should I put it ... an unusual boot up. A complete shutdown usualy gets the system running again. Only thing to be concerned about is if it happens consitantly.

Les 22:46 21 Nov 04

I've cold started it several times and gone back a couple of days using System Restore. TechNoTiger, you are close - this happened some time ago when my wireless mouse ren out of battery - having no batteries at the time I replaced it with my optical mouse from another computer. Looking at the mouse after the latest restore and a stuck cursor I noticed that the light wasn't on in the mouse. Clearly a restart misses the mouse and it's not enabled - but why?

It's possible that this is a long stabding problem for I've had no occasion to use the restart button.

A cold start switches the mouse on and all is Ok - curious or what!

Jim: I will run the sfc/scannow when I log off.

Les 23:29 21 Nov 04

I've run sfc /scannow and received no report of errors - it just completed it's run and then tghe box went off screen.

Les 01:33 24 Nov 04

When the batteries conked out on the wireless mouse I plugged in the optical mouse from my old computer - it worked OK - except for the problem on a warm restart.

Since then I have renewed the batteries in the wireless mouse and, with the computer given a warm restart and with the cursor frozen I fitted the batteries and tried the w. mouse - it worked.

So, TechnoTiger, you were close and indeed it prompted me to renew the batteries. Thanks again to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…