Restarting Xp

Les 21:45 21 Nov 04

I had to restart my computer by using the Restart button (Start/Turn off Computer/Restart) and, when it had restarted I found that the cursor had froze and the computer apparently uncontrollable - to get out of this I had to swicth the computer off and then, after a pause, on again.

Has someone experienced the same problem?

Night Ryder 21:52 21 Nov 04

If this has only happend once and a complete swith off fixed the problem then you are probably OK. If the problem persists, you probably have a problem. In which case I suggest you forst take a look at device manager to make sure there are no problems there.

Les 22:06 21 Nov 04

Thanks for the quick reply, I've checked and everything appears to be in order in the Device Manager

Technotiger 22:10 21 Nov 04

Hi, I think most of us have experienced this or a similar problem at some time, often more than once. This may not be very helpful I know, but you are not alone. Hope your is just a one-off.
There are numerous reasons for this happening.

Technotiger 22:13 21 Nov 04

ps: frozen cursor on mine was caused by dodgy wireless mouse.

JIM 22:26 21 Nov 04

What was the system doing before you had to use the, Restart button to Start/Turn off Computer/Restart etc.?

Agree, if it's just a one off,i would not worry to much at this time.When you have to turn/switch of in a hurry windows would not be able to clear the registry etc.at the time. May be worth having a gander in the event viewer to see what was logged at the time of the problem.

A sfc /scannow to check the systems file would not do any harm.

Night Ryder 22:32 21 Nov 04

I've worked with PC for years and this kind of thing can happen. Very often no particular cause can be identified. I have three systems at home and at one or time or another I've had a ... how should I put it ... an unusual boot up. A complete shutdown usualy gets the system running again. Only thing to be concerned about is if it happens consitantly.

Les 22:46 21 Nov 04

I've cold started it several times and gone back a couple of days using System Restore. TechNoTiger, you are close - this happened some time ago when my wireless mouse ren out of battery - having no batteries at the time I replaced it with my optical mouse from another computer. Looking at the mouse after the latest restore and a stuck cursor I noticed that the light wasn't on in the mouse. Clearly a restart misses the mouse and it's not enabled - but why?

It's possible that this is a long stabding problem for I've had no occasion to use the restart button.

A cold start switches the mouse on and all is Ok - curious or what!

Jim: I will run the sfc/scannow when I log off.

Les 23:29 21 Nov 04

I've run sfc /scannow and received no report of errors - it just completed it's run and then tghe box went off screen.

Les 01:33 24 Nov 04

When the batteries conked out on the wireless mouse I plugged in the optical mouse from my old computer - it worked OK - except for the problem on a warm restart.

Since then I have renewed the batteries in the wireless mouse and, with the computer given a warm restart and with the cursor frozen I fitted the batteries and tried the w. mouse - it worked.

So, TechnoTiger, you were close and indeed it prompted me to renew the batteries. Thanks again to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…