Restarting before POST beep

phil #91 13:49 18 Dec 05

A couple of days ago, my PC started to restart during the boot-up sequence. The lights flash on the HDD and CD and DVD and then the machine restarts again several times before getting to the POST beep. Once the POST beep has sounded then Windows XP loads as usual.
I have checked the connections inside and outside the PC but have not reseated any cards or cables yet. Does this restarting point to a specific component failing? Any help would be great! Thanks

PC: OS Win XP Home Sp1. CPU:AMD Athlon XP 3000 2.2GHz. Memory : 1GB = 2 modules of 512MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM
Motherboard: Asus Motherboard Socket A Model A7N8X2.0 Deluxe
C drive: 120 GB Maxtor 7200rpm 8MB cache IDE ATA133 Slave drive 300 GB Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm 8MB cache IDE ATA100
Pioneer DVD CD-Rewriter DVD
Sony Combi 48x24x48 +16x DVD

€dstowe 13:57 18 Dec 05

I suspect that as this is happening before anything gets properly loaded that it's something connected with the power supply unit not kicking in properly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 18 Dec 05

Memory and graphics checked during post

Remove reseat both.

Memory Test
click here

phil #91 14:23 18 Dec 05

Thanks €dstowe and Fruit Bat, I'll try your suggestions.

phil #91 15:14 20 Dec 05

I'm not getting any error codes or beeps apart from the single POST beep as usual.
I've reseated the memory and graphics card - no change. I've tested the memory with memtest86 - no problems, so I suspect the PSU.

Before I change it, I just want to ask - as the restarting happens before the POST beep (Everything OK!), it should not be a HDD boot problem - should it?

Doire_Bhoy 15:22 20 Dec 05

Have you got a known good spare HDD? Try it and see

phil #91 16:02 21 Dec 05

I fitted a new PSU today and problem solved - Thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…