Restarting not working properly

Ade_1 19:21 17 Feb 06

Hi, i dont know what is up with my computer but for some reason when i restart my machine it will resatrt buto nly show the wallappaer and thats it... then when i switch it off by the front botton as there is no other choice it works ok. But in gneeral it seems ot be running slowly, i dont have a virus (i check the other day) but i will take precautions and do another one. If anyone can help that would be great thanks.

mattyc_92 19:25 17 Feb 06

What Operating System?

Ade_1 19:28 17 Feb 06

WIN XP SP2

mattyc_92 19:30 17 Feb 06

Start->Run and type in "sfc /scannow" (without quotations, but note the space after sfc)
This will check critical systems files and replace/repair where needed
You will be asked for your Windows XP installation disk

Ade_1 19:32 17 Feb 06

ok, also, i dont knwo if this has any resembelance but when scanning for viruses i have a black bar so i cant see whats being scanned..(im using NIS 06)

mattyc_92 19:34 17 Feb 06

That sounds like a problem with Norton (which could be preventing your computer rebooting)

I would reinstall Norton. Personally, I haven't used any norton products for almost a year now, and my computer is alot more stable and quicker

doc999 19:39 17 Feb 06

Some machines have a problem shutting down, try going to:
click here

Ade_1 19:40 17 Feb 06

Well, i uninstalled it after getting "fed up" of it, but had to reinstall after my trial version of F-Secure ran out. I attempted to install Mcafee which i have lying about but that would run properly so i was left with NIS :(

mattyc_92 19:44 17 Feb 06

Firewall: click here

Anti-Virus: click here

both of these are 100% FREE!!!

doc999 16:47 20 Feb 06

Mattyc_92, thanks for the link for AntiVirus Software, always good to look at a new freebie recommended by someone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…