Restarted PC,now ADSL drops connection repeatedly

Chegs ® 11:20 29 Sep 03

I have XP Home,Conexant PCI ADSL modem and my ISP is Eclipse.I have occasionally had my connection drop for a few minutes,but a few weeks ago it disconnected for over 4 hours and when it started working again it was troublefree.Until yesterday when I restarted puter and within a few mins of reconnection it dropped out again.It has done this all day today,every few mins it disconnects then reconnects again after a couple of mins.I have reinstalled my drivers for the modem,swapped it to another PCI slot and reinstalled its driver again,checked its settings(VPI/VCI,etc)and emailed Eclipse for advice or info on solving this irritation.Any other suggestions gratefully received.

johnbhoy 11:26 29 Sep 03

Chegs - You don't have a motherboard with a VIA chipset do you. I had major problems with my USB ADSL mode continually dropping off. Phoned AOL tech support and was advised to update VIA chipset drivers, since them (touch wood) I have had no drop offs at all.

It may be worth checking.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

Chegs ® 11:41 29 Sep 03

I do have a mobo with Via chipset(always have)and never had any probs previously.(other than those detailed above)I have had the PCI modem in an Epox and now my mobo is a Gigabyte.I changed nothing,simply restarted XP yesterday and my connection started misbehaving.I'm not sure which Via 4in1 I'm using,as it is the mobo driver discs and doesn't state which one it is.

Flak999 14:40 29 Sep 03

to find out which via driver version you are using, fire up your registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software and open the via 4in1driver folder your driver version number will be listed here.

Incidentaly i also have an asus mobo with a via chipset and am using an alcatel speedtouch usb modem with freeserve broadband, i have no problem with connection at all but i am using a powered usb hub as there is some question over whether the mobo usb ports supply enough power to the modem.

Flak...

Chegs ® 14:59 29 Sep 03

My modem is PCI tho'not USB,and my connection was working fine.All I did was restart the puter.

Chegs ® 16:24 29 Sep 03

Via 4in1 is 4.42

Chegs ® 17:52 29 Sep 03

I updated the Via 4in1 to 4.48v and my connection appears to have sorted itself.I will tick this thread later(just incase it misbehaves)

Chegs ® 00:11 30 Sep 03

Thank You

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…