Restart without warning

Rich84 14:20 31 May 07

I have been experiencing sudden and unheralded restarts. There are no warnings and I haven't been able to find any pattern as yet. I have been working in word on two occassions and the computer has been idle (though running Firefox) on another. I think Outlook has been running in all cases, but not absolutely sure. I have recently installed McAfee Internet Security Suite 07 ( I previously had ISS06), which is my only system change. I am running XP SP2. Any ideas anyone?

Technotiger 14:25 31 May 07
  Eric10 14:31 31 May 07

Also. Go to the Properties of My Computer and the Advanced tab. In the 'Startup and Recovery' section click the Settings button. Under 'System failure' untick 'Automatically restart'. You may now get an error message when the problem occurs or some clue as to the culprit.

Rich84 14:32 31 May 07

Thanks Technotiger, I'll try some of their reccomendations. I forgot to mention that just before this first happened the machine failed to boot fully and stopped at a prompt relating to the BIOS. I can't remember what it said but I know that I went into setup and reset defaults. It has booted properly since.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:47 31 May 07

Random shutdowns

1. Virus or spyware
2. Overheat check all fans running and motherboard temperatures
3. memory problems try and run memtest click here
4. PSU starting to fail.

howard64 19:07 31 May 07

I had 1 pc brought to me with this problem and found the heatsink/fan on the cpu was full of hair/muck. I cleared this out with a tin of compressed air and that pc has not restarted randomly since now about 4 months since doing it.

Rich84 21:15 04 Jun 07

Thanks for all your help. A simple reinstall of McAfee Security Suite seems to have sorted the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…