restart

ameba 16:06 17 Jun 04

windows ME

I tried to defrag my pc and it wont do it. it just keeps repeating "driver changed, restarting" after 10% of defraging.
I also can't seem to restart my pc after downloading anything or installing anything that needs pc to restart. I have to shut down pc and turn on again before instalation is complete.
Sometimes that creates errors and instalation was not successful.
Any suggestions to help?

Alexandros 16:15 17 Jun 04

Try defragging in safe mode. That should do the trick.

ameba 16:22 17 Jun 04

i'll try that later when I am finished using pc for the night. Thanks.
But what about the problem off restarting pc after installing progs. or whatever? would defraging sort this?

GaT7 16:26 17 Jun 04

click here for a few more workarounds.

For the installation problem, do as you're prompted with regards to restarting your PC. To avoid errors in the future try shutting down all running programs BEFORE installing anything. Also run a Scandisk to correct disk errors that may be the cause of these problems. If Scandisk keeps restarting click here. [If you have other problems with Scandisk click here]

Let us know how you get on & what worked for you. HTH, G

GaT7 16:29 17 Jun 04

For the defragmenter problem you could try Diskeeper Lite - click here. It is well recommended & runs in normal Windows conditions without restarting in a loop. You don't have to shutdown any processes or fiddle about with any settings. And it also usually completes quicker than Windows defragmenter. G

ameba 16:52 17 Jun 04

Scandisk shows no errors and I guess I am guilty of not closing all programmes when installing things. Not all the time. :(
Thanks for all suggestions and I will go visit the links you have all mentioned now. I'll let you know how things go.

ameba 20:02 17 Jun 04

Thanks guys. All sorted. Simple when you know how :)
Right clicking on task bar and closing off toolbars seemed to have done the trick with a little patience waiting on defrag to go over 10%. It took 3 attempts this time but success at last.
PC restarting fine now.
Defragging also seemed to have sorted out one of those annoying little problems I had. When you start connecting to internet, the dial up sounds were coming through from what seemed to be the tower?????? My sound was off but I could hear the dial up connection. Now I only hear hear when speakers are on. Like I said, one of those little annoying things has been sorted. Now to check on other annoying little things that used to happen.
Once again, thanks for links Crossbow and thanks for your help yet again

GaT7 17:37 18 Jun 04

You're welcome ameba : )

When you do a Scandisk remember to do a 'thorough' scan every once in a while. G

ameba 20:41 19 Jun 04

will do crossbow, and I promise to close all programmes from now on when downloading and installing stuff. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…