Restablishing broadband connection

Woodlane 20:05 02 Jun 08

I was advised that the modem should be turned off overnight. Whenever I do that I find, on starting up again in the morning, that the modem lights are flickering and take ages to settle down before the broadband connection works. This morning I was waiting for an hour. Is this usual? Can it be avoided.
Having got connected properly there is no problem and it makes me hesitate to turn the power off to the modem

Jak_1 20:10 02 Jun 08

There is no reason to turn the modem off overnight at all. My Livebox is on 24/7 though the computer is turned off at times. What is happening when you switch it back on is that it is resetting itself. My advice is to leave it switched on.

birdface 23:47 02 Jun 08

Even resetting itself should only take 2 minutes,I presume the rest of the time it is the anti-virus running.What anti-virus Firewall do you have,

Stuartli 00:18 03 Jun 08

My (wired) Safecom modem router is permanently switched on and has been for the past 18 months since I first bought it.

The Old Mod 05:57 03 Jun 08

I never turn mine off, no reason to. Best to leave it on.

Woodlane 08:56 03 Jun 08

Thank you for the reassurance that the modem need not be turned off. It will certainly save a lot of hassle!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now