response call procedure

fermerboy 12:36 04 Nov 03

Hi all,
I have just built a new pc with a jetway mobo, onboard graphics and sound,a 40gb hard disk, pci modem and win xp. My problem is this, the first time I connected to the internet I got on for about 3-5 mins and I got the error NTauthority/system shutdown and some stuff about response call procedure. I have read all the stuff about this in past threads and accept it could be a virus but how is this possible on a new pc with new components and the only disks used are cdroms for installing drivers. Could it be something else?? Maybe a setting of sorts???
Any help appreaciated.
Thanks.

powerless 12:40 04 Nov 03
  obbit 12:42 04 Nov 03

it sounds like a virus. as soon as you connect to the internet yes this happened to me.

if you go to the NTL page click on the windows update on the laft and follow the instructions it should solve the problem. then go to microsoft update and get all the other updates.

NTL click here

johnnyrocker 12:46 04 Nov 03

it is a worm which just sits on the net looking for unprotected ports as apparently yours was. updated av is a must as are spybot and ad aware.

johnny.

fermerboy 13:01 04 Nov 03

Thanks for that, Will try out your advice and see if that works. Will report back later.
Thanks for the advice.

fermerboy 22:03 04 Nov 03

hi all, Ran the patch and fixes off the NTL website, hey presto picked up the welchia worm. Stinger which I ran previously missed that. Will sort out some antivirus and proper firewall now. Incredible how it got on my new machine within minutes of being online for the first time. I was just checking that the modem was working properly too.
Thanks to all for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…