Resoring Data Using a Hard Drive Enclosure

Dave1812 00:43 14 Aug 06

Hi Folks
I recently scrapped my desktop PC due to a motherboard problem and I am now using a laptop. There is however data on my old hard disk I would like to recover. Is there any reason I can't use a USB 2.0 Hard disk enclosure to access the data using my Laptop?

phono 00:46 14 Aug 06

Absolutely no reason at all, it is in fact a very sensible option to take as the drive can be formatted after the operation and used as external storage.

Dave1812 00:50 14 Aug 06

Many Thanks Phono.
I didn't think so but I didn't want to get one and then find that there was some blindingly obvious reason why I couldn't do it.

vinnyT 13:23 14 Aug 06

Realise you have closed thread, but, the drive you are going to use is likely to be a 3.5" size, I have read that these need a seperate power supply to work from a usb port as they can't draw enough from the port alone (a 2.5" drive would be fine, not needing as much power). So make sure the enclosure you get either has a power block supplied or has a socket so you can plug one in.

Most including the 3.5" Icybox IB-360AStUSB-BBL click here, should have one.

Of course it's poss that your LT may be able to supply enough power through the usb port, though prob only when plugged into a power socket.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos