Resolving Driver/Hardware Capatibility

bwatsky 04:37 03 Oct 09

When I open my Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers I have a yellow exclamation mark beside the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Capatibility Driver. The message I get when I click on it is:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

If you follow the troubleshoot path it starts telling you to uninstall hardware and then reinstall. This does not make sense to me. Is it a hardware or a driver problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, by the way, my control panel for for Sounds and Audio Devices Properties is grayed out indicating there are no audio devices. This is not true.

Buddy Watsky

sharpamat 08:04 03 Oct 09

The reason for removing the device from device manager is to allow windows to try ( whcih it will on Reboot ) to install the correct driver.

Have you checked in the BIOS that the device is enabled, a common reason for no sound

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…