Resizing partition with Partition magic 8

lixdexik 22:10 05 Apr 06

I would like to resize my C/: partition as it is running out of space. I have Partition Magic 8, which I used to split this HDD into two partitions C (13 gig) & D (180gig) when I first set up this computer.

I would now like to increase the size of the C partition to 20gig. I have emptied the D Partition so there is plenty of space to increase C.

I have followed the wizard's instructions and tried to apply the changes, I then get a message that "no partition is active do I want to continue"?

According to the partition map, the C/: partition is active. It is listed as follows.

Partition (Local Disk C). File system (NTFS). Size Mb(13,774.5). Used MB(11309.6). Unused. MB(2464.9). Status (Active). Pri/Log (Primary)

So it is listed as Active, but the warning says "no partition is active do I want to continue"?

Question is. Is it ok to continue?

Your advice please

Cheers Lixdexik.

SANTOS7 22:35 05 Apr 06

Personnally i would do it the other way round move all but your Operating system to the larger partition ,
whereby if you had to reinstall your O/S all your important files and such are not lost...

lixdexik 22:46 05 Apr 06

Perhaps I should have said that the C drive ony has the Os and prog files, all my personal files are on another seperate HDD. I have 4 HDDs in this machine, 10 partitions in all, plus I have just bought an external HDD to make space for more video capture files.

I am really running out of space if I need to install video or other software on the C partition.

Cheers Lixdexik.

SANTOS7 22:51 05 Apr 06

Not sure why it is telling you there is no active partition, i know you can only have one per disc,
have you tried going through the resize operation again.
I have PM8 and i have looked through the troubleshoot files and at the moment cannot find anything relavent.........

lixdexik 22:58 05 Apr 06

I am not aware of having this problem in the past. This is the first time I have run "End It All" to close other apps before using PM8. PM8 says to close other progs before using it.

It's getting late now so I'm off to my Kip, I'll look in again tomorrow night after a reboot and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers Lixdexik.

SANTOS7 23:04 05 Apr 06

I will search some more but the only thing i can come up with at the mo is maybe the D/: drive is now hidden now that you say you have removed all data from it ...

lixdexik 18:27 06 Apr 06

Pm 8 still shows the D drive on the map. All I have done with the files on the drive is copy & paste them to the external Hdd.

I will have another go at it and see what happens.

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 18:50 06 Apr 06

I have had another go at it and it still says the same thing. I have also tried the resize/move partition route and it says the partition exceeds the 1024 cluster boundary and may not be bootable.

So now what?

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…