Resize image without loss of sharpness

Alan-Petrie 23:30 21 Jul 08

Hi I have a few pictures which I need to resize, they are currently only 120x90 pixels but I need them to be around 640x480 pixels at the most also I need the text on the images to still be clear.

Any suggestions Thanks Alan

Diversion 01:09 22 Jul 08

As they tell you in Adobe Photoshop 2 and 3, you can't put what is not there to start with. Even if you've got Adobe Photoshop and try to make it into a Smart Picture even Adobe tells you that you can't put there what isn't to start with, and that's Pixels unless someone knows different but that's what Adobe tells you; and they are the professionals.

Diversion 01:17 22 Jul 08

I might add that you could try printing the small picture out on the printer and scan the printout to make larger picture that may work, I've done that myself in the past and got quite good results from it.

Regards Paul

hssutton 10:10 22 Jul 08

As Diversion says you cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Actually such as Genuine Fractals will resample an image but with varying results.

You may find this to be of interest click here

jack 10:35 22 Jul 08

At great expense- ss HSS link points out
BenVista PhotoZoom is one such click here
Or as suggested print and scan then play with the various improvement options in your package- such as
moire pattern removal- which has a softening effect

woodchip 10:41 22 Jul 08

No chance

rick808 12:46 22 Jul 08

All depends on the image. I have rescued drastically reduced images that one of our photographers managed to screw up for one of his private jobs - taking an image of similar size to yours, playing around with them a bit and getting "acceptable" 5"x7" prints off some of them. Again it all depends on what the image is and the text may well be a problem.
If you want to post one of your images I would be happy to take a look and see what can be done.

Alan-Petrie 13:10 22 Jul 08

Ok First thanks everyone for your comments, Secondly I will try printing and scaning the images. If that doesnt work I will post one of the pictures. Thanks again Alan

jack 14:20 22 Jul 08

This is carried out with Paint Shop Pro.
Scanned a newspaper clip.
Opened into Paint shop
Adjust.Remove moire pattern
then apply clarify
Then work 'Unsharp Mask.

Here is a before and after shot
Time taken -5 minutes

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

David4637 14:28 22 Jul 08

Thats not a high defintion image in your link - YOU CANT enlarge a low res image, without adding pixels and if you do you get "noise," and a poor quality image as a result. David

rick808 14:45 22 Jul 08

Very true David but with careful manipulation you can reduce the adverse effects and MAYBE get an image that is fit for the purpose that Alan is after.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017