resetting options

Eddd 09:36 31 Aug 08

My son has managed to alter something on his computer.When I put in a cd and click on explore all the icons are for internet explorer, although you can see the original icons undernaeth in thumbnail mode.I have tried resetting the autoplay to defaults but it doesn't seem to help. Also when I click on a folder to open to view the contents, I.E. when I want to use a saved document, it opens with the search option in the side bar not the list of folder contents.
How to I get either of these back to the default settings. Ruddy kids.

skidzy 09:44 31 Aug 08

System Restore ED.

XP click here

Vista click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:09 31 Aug 08

Search instead of open folder

Torch instead of files appearing?

According to Microsoft, this behavior can occur when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the Drive or File Folder registered file types.

Open a command prompt and typing the following:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

press enter, close command prompt.

or

Microsoft acknowledges that this is a problem in Knowledge Base article #321379 and offers the following fix:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
3. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor.

Eddd 15:20 31 Aug 08

Have tried using system restore to no avail.
Am not getting a torch just that the display icons have all changed to The little blue 'e' that denotes internet explorer. also I don't want to search I just want to be able to see the folder contents.

Eddd 20:34 01 Sep 08

Have just reinstalled windows over existing set up so kept my files and settings and all back to normal at last.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…