©®@$? 14:04 19 Nov 03

my dad has windows xp, internet explorer with all the critical updates and service pack

he has pipex broadband and he recieves this error allot res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll\dnserror.htm

and he cannot view any webpages, restarting the internet connection doesn't help, but restarting the computer does

any ideas

©®@$? 14:10 19 Nov 03

i have found some info about it being a corrupt winsock click here

but thsi only applies to windows 9x

need one for xp, also people mentioned about spyware etc..ill have to follow that up

©®@$? 14:15 19 Nov 03

HOSTS file problem?
Look also for a file named HOSTS (no extension, could be hidden) rename it
OLDHOSTS, reboot.

do you think that will help?

VoG II 14:16 19 Nov 03

click here may help.

I've also seen reports that spyware and viruses can cause this.

©®@$? 14:32 19 Nov 03

cheers vog

©®@$? 14:56 19 Nov 03

i have sent a winsock fix for xp to my dad, hope that will work

i'm sure i solve it

i'll close the thread

©®@$? 19:49 19 Nov 03

just to let anyone who is interested know that the winsock fix for xp didn't work

but i have told him to download adaware and the latest ref file and it found 44 objects but only cookies, he's removed them

i told him to flush the dns cache out which he has done, and i told hime to check the version file of shdoclc.dll which was the same as mine, and i have sent him my dll and he has replaced his with mine

just a waiting game now!

for some reason when this webpage doesn't dislpay and no webpages will display when this problem happens, it is looking in document browsing which it shouldn't be.

the dll in question is used for Windows applications to add web, file, network and document browsing capabilities.

and its looking in the res://C:\

this can happen if spyware is installed example new dot net which he hasnt got, that is installed with kazza but he doesnt have those sort of its not that.other spyware which affect the host files.

but he hasnt got any of the sort,plus it is a new ish install.

so the problem lies with internet explorer, it seems this problem dates back with differnt versions of internet explorer ( by the way his dns settings are spot on)

so the other alternative is using opera and i'm 99.9% sure this problem will not happen with opera, but it just means him getting used to it, but in my opinion opera is better anyway just got to get used to the layout..

i'll keep adding to this thread incase any of the information helps anybody else..

i will post a fix if one is found

Philip Chandler 11:15 21 Nov 03

I also receive this fault quite a bit on XP with telewest broadband. I find that renewing my IP address from the command prompt sorts it out.

©®@$? 12:09 21 Nov 03

renewing ip from command

can you explain a little more please

what command do you use

©®@$? 12:13 21 Nov 03

is it Ipconfig

IPCONFIG /release

so when you do this and it sorts the problem out, it must be down to the isp then!

if thats true then that is not acceptable!

©®@$? 12:17 21 Nov 03

when i try this on my machine it excepts ipconfig, but it wont except ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew

as it gives this message

windows ip configuration

the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissable for this operation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…