requirements for pc games

karen-241100 12:49 04 Oct 03

I recently sold my old compaq presario to a friend for her son to use. He has found that some of his games won't play on the computer. After reading the minimum requirements for these games they state that an 800mhz processor is required whereas the computer I sold is only 600mhz. Would this stop him playing the games or could it be a problem with an inadequate graphics card, I think the graphics on the pc was Intel 810e chipset. The games do actually load but the picture on the screen is a mixture of white and grey, there is also sound coming from the game. Any ideas people.

Jester2K II 13:42 04 Oct 03

What game?

If the PC is below spec then i can cause problems running, but it depends what is below spec and how much by.

If the PC is running on-board graphics it'll probably have problems with modern games..

vinnyT 14:01 04 Oct 03

I would think that if the cpu is below spec. then the rest (with likely exception of harddrive and soundcard) probably falls below also, not just the cpu and graphics (like J2K 11 says on board vpu are not likely to cut it with modern games) but maybe the cd-rom drive is not upto speed (some games spec. 8x or above).

Has he tried running the game at a lower resolution, this can help when the pc is at or near spec. levels, as the game dosn't run with as much detail.

karen-241100 14:39 04 Oct 03

Age of empires was the game where there didn't seem to be a proper picture, the screen was mainly white and the people that were on there appeared as greyish lines.

Jester2K II 15:29 04 Oct 03

Sounds like the graphics card either can't cope or needs drivers installed again.

rickysambo 16:11 04 Oct 03

I'd go with that Jester - my celeron 500 copes fine with Age of Empires 2 - so it's probably drivers - beware if it's an old Voodoo card like mine, because the original company (3dFX) has stopped supporting them - however, I believe they are available somewhere out there in internetland!

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…