Require help with reformatting laptop.

Steve A 16:18 26 Jun 07

Hi,
I have a laptop which I am wanting to completely clear and restore. It currently has a partitioned hard drive with Ubuntu and Windows XP Professional.

I want to get rid of the Ubuntu completely and then restore the XP to factory settings. I've not got a recovery disk for windows, but there is the i386 folder which I understand replicates the cd.

I've tried copying this to cd and booting from cd but it didn't work so I was hoping someone on here would be able to help/advise me on how I can achieve my objective.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

woodchip 16:21 26 Jun 07

If you format you will lose all including the i386 folder. the drive may have a hidden partition to do a restore from. Read the Laptop Manual

Press Man 16:31 26 Jun 07

If you have the original XP serial number which is normally on the base of the machine, you can load XP from any XP disc (yours or borrowed) as long as it is the same version i.e. XPsp1 or XPsp2, then at the appropriate time during installation enter the original serial number. Hope this helps.

Steve A 16:37 26 Jun 07

Woodchip, from my understanding I have to put the i386 onto a disk first, which I've done, but it wouldn't boot.

Press Man, the only XP disk I have access to is for XP Home, but the Laptop runs XP Pro so does this mean that this method would not work?

Press Man 16:53 26 Jun 07

My guess is that it will need to be an XP Pro disc. The reason I say this is because I just did a similar job for a friend who had no disk, but had the original serial number. I loaded my XPsp2 Home disk but it would not accept the serial number. Tried again using my sons disc which is XPsp1 and it worked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 26 Jun 07

the only XP disk I have access to is for XP Home, but the Laptop runs XP Pro so does this mean that this method would not work?

Correct will not work.

Not sure if following will work or not.

1. copy 1386 to cd
2. format drive
3. use NTFS boot floppy click here to copy 1386 to drive.
4. change to c:\i386
5 type winnt.exe press enter

woodchip 17:03 26 Jun 07

You need a boot disc then change to i386 and run setup from i386 folder

Steve A 19:47 26 Jun 07

Yeah, sorry I realised that I should be doing the formatting and then running the boot cd afterwards, slipped my mind.

One final query. the pre-installed stuff on the computer such as the wireless drive, do I just need to back these drivers up and then subsequently copy them back when reformatted?

Thanks

Jake_027 19:55 26 Jun 07

Let me know if it works-I have a similar install, if the method works it means I can clean install XP MCE on my laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 26 Jun 07

Yes you need to be sur you have copied Everything you need (docs photos emails addressetc.) to an external source prior to formatting.

woodchip 21:23 26 Jun 07

You will need all the drivers for the hardware. Motherboard Drivers, Sound, Graphics and any other that you need for hardware. best download and put on a CD before you format

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…