Request by btYahoo. Is this Phish?

wee eddie 09:27 08 Jun 05

I got an e-mail request (looks authentic)to switch on SMTP authentication.

Using Outlook (no instructions given) but a link to some unknown software telling you to enable this bit.

'My Server Requires Authentication'

When I try the link I get nothing.

When I switch this on in Outlook, I get a box saying that POP3 server does not support etc.

sicknote 11:54 08 Jun 05

Microsoft Outlook 2002 & 2003 Print this page
View tutorial
Microsoft Outlook 2002 & 2003 allow you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means that you do not have to replace your current settings in order to send and receive BT Yahoo! Mail messages.
To configure your POP settings, follow these steps:

From the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts". You may have to click the arrows.
Select the radio button next to "Add a new e-mail account" and click the "Next" button.
Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.
Enter the following information:

User Information
* Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.

* E-mail Address: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address (for example, [email protected] or [email protected]).
Server Information
* Incoming mail server (POP3):
mail.btinternet.com
* Outgoing mail server (SMTP):
mail.btinternet.com
Login Information
* User Name: Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address
[email protected]
-or-
[email protected]

* Password: Enter your BT Yahoo! password.
Do not check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".
Click the "More Settings" box and select the "Outgoing Server" tab.
Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".
If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the BT Yahoo! Mail server, select the "Advanced" tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
Click the "OK" button.
Click the "Next" button on the Email Account Wizard, then click "Finished".
IMPORTANT: The BT Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires Authentication. To turn this setting on, follow these steps:

Click "Tools" then select E-mail Accounts
Select "View or change existing email accounts and click "Next".
Select your BT Yahoo! Mail account and click the "Change" button on the right.
Click the "More Settings..." button in the bottom right-hand corner of the Email Accounts window.
In the Internet E-mail Settings window, click the "Outgoing Server" tab. Ensure that the box is checked next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".
Click the "Advanced" tab and ensure that you have not selected "This Server Requires a Secure Connection (SSL)" under the incoming (POP3) or outgoing (SMTP) port settings

Djohn 14:22 08 Jun 05

No, its genuine, but one of our members did the chage yesterday and is having a few problems. have a look at P3's thread and see if you can avoid the problem or maybe pass some advice onto P3. click here

Lionheart ? 16:16 08 Jun 05

Don't have an answer to this but BT have required Authentication since last year.

I still have the e-mail request to change dated 2/6/2004. Just wonder if they have a glitch and are sending e-mail reminders again, having received them myself in the past

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…