reported HDD space query.

second best 02:40 14 Nov 03

hi, i have 19 gig drive using winxp pro. if i click on the HDD icon in my computer. it says i have 6.25 gig of space left on a 19 gig drive. however, if i tot up the size of all the folders individually , program files, windows, documents and settings etc. it oly ads up to 8 or 9 gig at the very most. am i missing something, or is something wrong?

temp003 03:34 14 Nov 03

There are hidden files and folders that you have not seen.

Windows by default reserves 10% of the hard disk space for the recycled bin, represented by the C:\Recycler folder.

System Restore also reserves 10-12% (I think) for the C:\_Restore folder.

Then there's the virtual memory, the minimum set at 1.5 times your RAM memory, maximum 3 times, represented by the file C:\pagefile.sys

There are other boot or system files in the C root directory, but they are very smalll in size.

They may still not add up to the expected figure, but you can never quite work out exactly how Windows does the calculation, and whether the reserved space (rather than actual space used) is taken into account.

At least the Recycler, _Restore, and pagefile.sys files and folders will account for some of the apparently missing space.

To see the hidden files, in My Computer, click Tools, Folder Options, View tab, tick Show hidden files and folder, and untick Hide protected operating system files, and click OK.

xania 08:58 14 Nov 03

ALso bear in mind that your HDD will lose some space to formatting - and that the hard disk measures a GB as 1,000,000 * 1,000 bites rather than 1,000,000 * 1,024.

Finally, every file you have wastes space - the amount left between the end of the file and the end of the sector. Because you can only have so many sectors on a drive, the larger the drive, the larger the sector, the larger the amount of wasted space. See whether you can partition your HDD into more drives - you could save quite a lot of space.

critic-al 09:18 14 Nov 03

Have you got any avi or video files? in windows movie maker?

second best 12:13 14 Nov 03

hi all, and thanks, but i am told i have 13.7 used and 6.7 free. all files as mentioned before only come to approx 8.20 gig. i find it hard to believe that i have around 7gig of hidden files. that is a hell of a lot of hidden files, dont you think?

second best 12:23 14 Nov 03

the drive has actually been formatted recently, few weeks ago, and only a few select programs have been installed, ms office xp , games, photoshop, stuff like that.. very little or no junk, for all intensive purposes, the drive is clean, i hope.

pj123 15:10 14 Nov 03

Try this. go to the PCA Download page and scroll down to Utilities, File Management and on page 2 download PowerDesk v5. I use this all the time now and it gives a better idea of HDD space. It also shows all hidden files as default.

pj123 15:14 14 Nov 03

PS. This may be the link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…