Reply to "Backup Failed"

logrin 13:59 31 Mar 11

sorry that I haven't replied, uncertain where I should send it.

I tried the program sent by st-clares and it found 1340 faults which scared me stiff, it repaired 100 of them.

I looked at services and backup is enabled.

1. I am oncsidering Buying the full program to repair the faults. (What Cost)
2. Getting my local computer shop to reload Vista as before (£40)
3. Installing Windows 7 which has a good recommendastion from you.

Will be glad of any other suggestions

Will have to work out my hobby budget before I decide. Times are getting hard.

I automatically clicked on resolved out of habit.

Thank you all for your help so far. logrin

proudfoot 14:38 31 Mar 11

Not sure what you mean,
"tried the suggested site sent by st-clares.It showed up 1340 errors which frightenend the life out of me, it repaired 100."
The link I gave was to software for making an Image of your files (System, programs, data etc) so they can be restored at a later date if things go pear shaped.
If you can't find out why you cannot make a Windows Backup either of these programs will be of assistance.
Macrium can be d/l free, the latest Acronis software is paid for but it is possible sometimes to Google for free earlier versions that are perfectly adequate for basic backups.

northumbria61 14:59 31 Mar 11

logrin - do you get any error codes other than "backup failed" ?

Two suggestions -

1. Disable your Anti Virus - this may be conflicting/stopping your backup from completing.

2. Go to C:\programs\logs\windowsbackup - delete all files that you find there.

Now try Windows backup again.

logrin 15:21 31 Mar 11

sorry to puzzle you st-clares when I tried your suggsted site I somehow loaded ARO 2011 free edition which ran the scan and gave me all the errors, I have mow loaded Macrium. haven't tried it yet.

northumbria61, will try your suggestion shortly.

I keep on getting rung by an indian gentleman who infirms me that microSoft has infirmed him that my computer is full of faults and offere to correct them for a price, wants me to sign a contract with his firm. How do they get my details and is it a scam?

Finally why does Microsoft keep downloading new files onto my computer automatically then shuts it down and restarts it, losing all my work in hand. Does this add to the faults present and how do I stop them coming. logrin

northumbria61 15:28 31 Mar 11

I keep on getting rung by an indian gentleman who infirms me that microSoft has infirmed him that my computer is full of faults and offere to correct them for a price, wants me to sign a contract with his firm. How do they get my details and is it a scam?

Stay clear - this is obviously a SCAM - Microsoft would not have informed him !

northumbria61 15:33 31 Mar 11

"Finally why does Microsoft keep downloading new files onto my computer automatically then shuts it down and restarts it, losing all my work in hand."

You need to change your Windows Update settings - they must currently be set to "Install Updates Automatically (recommended)

Change the settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" - then click OK

Nontek 15:34 31 Mar 11

I strongly suggest that your run a full scan with click here or similar. Soon as possible ....

northumbria61 15:34 31 Mar 11

Windows Update can be accessed via Control Panel or from "start" - all programs (should be in that list)

Nontek 15:37 31 Mar 11

Microsoft does not download new files onto your computer ... however, weekly Microsoft Updates are a normal part of Windows.

northumbria61 15:37 31 Mar 11

"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" - should have added that you can then choose what/when to install at a more convenient time which will not interfere with your work.

lotvic 21:40 31 Mar 11

<<"I keep on getting rung by an indian gentleman who infirms me that microSoft has infirmed him that my computer is full of faults and offere to correct them for a price, wants me to sign a contract with his firm. How do they get my details and is it a scam?
">>
Yes it is a scam, another thread about it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…