Replacing XP with 98!

Dirk Diggler 18:01 13 Nov 04

A bit of advice please folks - I have a mate who has XP and can't stand it and wants to go back to 98

Now, I have a 98 disc with key etc, but have never done a full install from XP

Any tips / advice as to what I need to do and look out for?

Cheers

Irishman 18:03 13 Nov 04

You will have to format the drive and start from scratch. Although you would be better finding out exactly what he does not like about XP and helping him fix it.

bremner 18:04 13 Nov 04

They will need to reformat and do a fresh install.

They are of course completely mad wanting to go back to the blue crash prone, inferior world of 98 - but there is no accounting for taste ;o)

2020 18:18 13 Nov 04

can you tell me whats the difference between reinstall and reformat cause i'd like to go back to win98.
thanks

PSF 18:52 13 Nov 04

To re-install is installing the same operating system on the pc.

To reformat is to wipe (delete) all the contents off the hard drive before installing an operating system.

XP is usually installed with NTFS, Windows 98 is usually installed with fat16/32. Windows 98 will not work with NTFS and so you would have to reformat your hard drive.

IMOP XP is far Superior to 98 why would you want to go backwards.

bremner 18:54 13 Nov 04

A reinstall will leave your files and programs untouched.

A reformat wipes the system areas of the hard drive and prepares it to accept the installation of an operating system.

To all intents and purposes it wipes a drive clean. (it actaully leaves the data untouched but unreadable and ready to be overwritten)

Mr Mistoffelees 19:02 13 Nov 04

Like going back to the stone age.

Carronade 19:56 13 Nov 04

Dirk - I had this problem some weeks ago! Click click here

Hope it helps.

keith-236785 21:45 13 Nov 04

click here and download a windows98 startup disk. once downloaded, double click on the file and it will create a startup floppy disk (you will need a floppy disk in the drive before double clicking).

using the new startup disk you can format the hard drive and make it ready for windows 98.

make sure the floppy drive is set as first (or before the ide hard drive) in the bios and then with the floppy in the drive, reboot your computer.

on booting, you will get a menu, choose option2 then once done, type

format c: +press enter

accept the warning and away you go.

BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW/HAVE DRIVERS FOR ALL THE HARDWARE IN THE COMPUTER. ALSO WRITE DOWN THE PHONE NUMBER FOR THE INTERNET CONNECTION if on dialup.

CurlyWhirly 21:55 13 Nov 04

In my opinion your mate must be mad going back to Windows 98!
XP is by far the best operating system Microsoft have yet produced IMHO.

LastChip 22:12 13 Nov 04

A lot depends on what hardware this chap is running XP on.

If it's marginal, XP is such a bloated system, he may very well be happier with '98.

click here for a step by step narrative.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…