Replacing Windows XP Pro with Windows XP

Room102 11:00 09 Jul 07

The aunt of a friend (not me, honest), bought a PC with Windows XP Professional already installed. Unfortunately the XP Pro version is not a legitimate one - message says it cannot be validated.

My friend bought his aunt a legitimate version of Windows XP (ordinary), but does not know how to replace the installed XP Pro with this proper version.

My friend and I are day to day users of PC applications, but novices when it comes to all the complicated software (Windows) behind them all. So don't worry if your 'simple language' advice might seem like talking down to me.

beeuuem 11:13 09 Jul 07

Although I am open to correction, Microsoft suggest that the only way round your problem is a clean install.click here

€dstowe 11:29 09 Jul 07

Might be an idea in the first instance to contact Microsoft and take their advice - things might not be as bad as the appear but, in any case, MS will be interested in the origin of the pirated software on the machine.

You can't lose in this - and you might gain by getting a discounted version of Windows.

wee eddie 12:07 09 Jul 07

could arrive for any number of reasons, only one of which is that your copy is not genuine.

It comes with a number to ring. Tell her to collect all the information that she has, including noting down the Number stuck onto the case if there is one.

Then ring the Telephone number given. As €dstowe says, the solution may simply be a misreading by the web site.

Room102 20:22 09 Jul 07

I cannot believe how quickly people gave advice about my problem - and that it worked.

Thank you, all you Samaritans.

Being a novice when it comes to the workings of PCs and Windows etc. I doubt I shall ever be able to return the favour. But I would if I could.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…