Replacing Windows 2000 Profess with Win XP

lilythepink 14:59 14 Mar 04

i want to replace the operating system on my laptop to keep it up to date. How do i remove Windows professional and replace it with XP

Forum Editor 15:10 14 Mar 04

1. Back up all your data files, and make sure you have all the software disks that you need, and that they are WindowsXP compatible.

2. If you have things like network cards, printers, scanners, modems etc., make sure that you download WindowsXP drivers for them prior to changing the operating system. Save all the drivers to a special folder on the hard drive, and then transfer them to a CD or to floppy disks.

3. Save all emails that you want to keep, and save your contact list/address books. Save them to floppies or to a CD - this is very important.

4. When you're ready, put the WindowsXP disk in the drive and let it run. When you are asked if you would like to upgrade the existing installation or perform a clean install, select the clean install. This will erase everything on your hard drive, so make absolutely sure you have got everything you want on CDs or floppies before you start.

5. Sit back and watch, or go for a meal - it will take around an hour or so to install and configure WinXP.

Forum Editor 15:14 14 Mar 04

that the Windows XP database will almost certainly have a driver for everything on your machine. If it doesn't it will ask you for them, and that's where the CD or floppies that you crteated earlier come into their own.

WinXP sometimes has a problem with some USB network card drivers, so if you have one of these it's doubly important to get that XP driver before you begin. In desperation you can often get XP to work with a Windows 2000 device driver.

lilythepink 15:26 14 Mar 04

I will try that and let you know later

mrdsgs 15:36 14 Mar 04

my advice would be to try a dual boot setup first.

All you need to do is put the xp disk in whilst running w2000 assuming you have a spare partition or can create one.

Install xp to the new partition and your w200 will be unaffected.

each time you boot you will have a choice of os.

Afetr a while if all is well and you are ccomfortable with xp you can reformat and start with a clean xp installation only.

This way you can test compatibility with xp without loosing your current w2000 setup.

mrdsgs

lilythepink 16:00 14 Mar 04

i have tried installing windowns XP and because it is just an upgrade it will not allow me to install it. does this mean i have to buy a whole new system for just my laptop - this is not my main computer

Gongoozler 16:11 14 Mar 04

According to Microsoft click here, you can upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to XP Professional. but not XP Home. You can get XP Home OEM pack from Ebuyer for £65.12 inc VAT click here

lilythepink 16:24 14 Mar 04

I did not want to go and buy a full blown XP, will it let me upgrade from windows 2000 home

Gongoozler 17:20 14 Mar 04

Is there a home edition of Windows 2000? My understanding is that Windows 2000 was developed from Windows NT, and was intended for professional users, and that Windows ME was developed from Windows 98 for home users. In the Microsoft upgrade chart I gave the link to above, there is no mention of Windows 2000 Home.

hellred 17:56 14 Mar 04

There was Windows 2000 and 2000 Pro

hellred 17:57 14 Mar 04

Win 2000 Pro will only upgrade to XP Pro, i have just done this on a Laptop and it all works perfect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…