Replacing Win XP pro with another Win XP pro

Marky_Bhoy 23:20 27 Oct 03

Let me explain.

My friend is running Win XP pro on his computer. However it is a pirate copy. This means he can't get updates etc.

Now he has a legal copy of Win XP pro. It is a network install - meaning that he had to burn a disk from 'image file'. Other instructions for this installation were that he had to configure his system to boot from CD. Then install Win XP before turning on PC - i.e boot from CD. I mention this fact as it may cause complications- maybe not?

Now he wants to install the legal copy 'on top of' his present OS (which is the pirate copy).

Is this a straight forward procedure? Bearing in mind that he has lots of software and important files and setting and different users etc. on his computer that he can't be bothered re-installing.

He would be grateful if anyone could help.

johnnyrocker 23:25 27 Oct 03

i would suggest your friend tread VERY carefully depending on his connetion, if it is a broadband and he has not installed properly in place of the original and finds when he is setting up his new network connection and he gets the error isp name not valid or similar, he will have screwed the registry and as far as i know the only solution is to microsoft on the phone in the usa and is about a 20 min talk through.

good luck.
johnny.

Marky_Bhoy 23:37 27 Oct 03

I may have confused the issue when I mentioned the network install. Basically he will have downloaded the complete Win XP onto disk.

From there on he can install directly from the CD - a connection is not needed.

Marky_Bhoy 23:44 27 Oct 03

Basically, What I'm trying to say is: can you install a full OS (which is not a upgrade version) onto your PC without having to reformat everything?

johnnyrocker 23:49 27 Oct 03

you might have misunderstood me, replacing one with another may well mean re configuring the dun network connection and if the install over install is not done right what i have said will happen

johnny.

Marky_Bhoy 23:57 27 Oct 03

Ok. So do you think that he might as well backup all important files and reformat everything? And start from stracth?

Djohn 00:12 28 Oct 03

Yes, the best way will be to back-up all his files and then do a clean install of XP using the correct Product key. This way the program will "Activate" with Microsoft and be eligible for all updates. j.

johnnyrocker 08:55 28 Oct 03

or he could d/load and install big fix from click here which grabs all updates and is not serial conscious as far as i know.

johnny.

Marky_Bhoy 14:21 28 Oct 03

I think I'll just format his PC therby starting all over again. It will be a pain but it is probably the easiest way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…