Replacing Sata hardrive

zeppman 20:09 26 May 07

I've got to replace a Maxtor DiamondMax Model:6L300S0 300GB Sata150 HDD.I want to make sure that I order the right type.I've seen sata 150 & 300 not sure if that makes a differnce,dont mind getting a Western digital up to 500 or 600GB but because I'm ordering on the PC I want to get it right and not get the wrong drive.

MAJ 20:19 26 May 07

A SATA300 drive will be backward compatible with a SATA150 drive. The SATA300 has a faster transfer rate 300MB/s than the SATA150 drive 150MB/s. So either will do.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 26 May 07

No it won't

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller.
In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed.
Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant