Replacing Ram, but getting the Beeps

wallbash 13:42 07 Mar 04

After suffering the blue screen of 'death' and after much searching narrowed problem to the Ram chip. Run a test, which indicated a fault. Pop along to local computer shop with motherboard manual. Picked up a new 256 mem module.
Removed old chip,Installed new one now only gives me 3 beeps (mem problem). Checked that new is seated properly. beep,beep. beep. reinstalled old, booted up fine, Repeated the above a number of times.???
Running xp pro , on a K7vm4 Asrock motherboard.
Chips are 184 pin DDR . The only thing different is the new ,has 266 on the chip, while the invoice shows PC2100, is this a problem!!

goonerbill 13:47 07 Mar 04

266mhz is also pc2100 mem

bremner 13:49 07 Mar 04

PC2100 runs at 266Mhz so that is not a problem.

If you can I would try both the original and new Ram modules in another machine. If they are OK then it would indicate a problem with your motherboard.

wallbash 13:53 07 Mar 04

Wow fast answer, many thanks. But it would have solved my problem if your answer had said that the new chip was incompatable! So if the new chip is right, any other ideas, I could try? I think!! that adding Ram , one must fill the first slot First! But as the new chip was a straight swop.....?

wallbash 13:58 07 Mar 04

Must learn to type faster on this forum.
With three machines , networked in the house, trying the ram in another, is a great idea. ( why didn't I think of that) But stll , old (RAM) works and new fails?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…