replacing old hard drive

patrickbuckley 16:07 19 Feb 07

I have a 5 year old Evesham desktop and I want to replace the old hard drive, as it showing its age (aren't we all!). Can I replace it with any IDE hard drive of any size or must I take care unless the motherboard (Gigabyte 81D53) or whatever cannot recognise it? Also, will I have any problems with Microsoft because I am reinstalling my WinXP O/S on a new hard drive?
Many thanks
Patrick

keef66 16:19 19 Feb 07

I imagine you'll be ok with any size IDE drive. At the very worst you may have to update the motherboard bios. (Phone Evesham; although you're out of warranty they'll probably be able to tell you)

I have replaced a failed HDD in sister-in law's pc with a bigger spare one I had lying around, installed XP from my CD using her licence key from the sticker on the case, and it validated without having to make any phone calls to Bill Gates.

rawprawn 16:20 19 Feb 07

click here Scroll down to Hard drivrs. You should have no problem if you just check compatibility
I think you will just have to reactivate your windows installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…