Replacing noisy cpu fan

Plastic Dracula 18:03 21 Oct 09

One of the fans on my PC starting making a rattling noise this morning.
I have taken the PC to pieces just now and cleared out as much of the dust as I can but after a few minutes the rattling noise has come back (although the CPU temp is now 10 degrees less!)
Anyway, Im guessing Im gonna have to replace the CPU fan because the noise is driving me nuts.

I have an emachines PC with Intel D915GAG 2.93 gigahertz Pentium 4.

I know nothing about CPU fans so will any fan for an Intel processor fit this or are there certain ones I need to look for? Also, where is a good place to buy one from?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ta

ambra4 05:01 22 Oct 09

“I know nothing about CPU fans so will any fan for an Intel processor fit this or are there certain ones I need to look for?”

No, you need to get the same size and type of CPU fan or you can replace the CPU fan unit

“Where is a good place to buy one from?”

Maplin should have a range of CPU fan units that would fit your motherboard

click here

jack 08:20 22 Oct 09

On the hub of the fan is a label.
Carefully lift the label and under there is a small 'pit' with the bearing showing through.
fill this pit with a spot of oil[NOT WD40]
3 in 1 or car oil
re seal give it a whirl.

An urban tale goes that an engineer called to such a machine -went out to his vehicle and came back with the engine dipstick covered with a rag- which he then allowed one drip into the 'pot'
did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…