Replacing network card

Hetti 14:35 21 Aug 06

I have 2nd PC sharing internet connection, the router on the first PC is D-Link AirPlus Xtreme6.
The problem is the anntenna on the card in the 2nd PC has been broken off (hanging on by a thread) so I need to replace it, do I need to use a D-Link card or will any card work OK?
I did phone D-Link and they suggested DWL-G520 it cost £35 at "morecomputers.com" but some cards start at around £8 on various websites, I will pay the xtra money if nessasary but it is a big difference in price.
Also will it be easier to set up if it is a D-Link (same as router)
As you can tell Im a newbie with all this, but would like to try to set it up myself if possible, so is it differcult do?

FelixTCat 15:18 21 Aug 06

Hetti,

All cards are functionally identical. Make sure that the one you get is compatible with 802.11g, not just 802.11b. Also, make sure the card can use WPA encryption, not just WEP.

Before you do that, try using blue-tak to fix the existing aerial in place. Provided that it is still connected to the card, it should still work.

Regards,

Felix

Hetti 15:48 21 Aug 06

Thanks Felix
I got that thanks...Can you tell me is it just a case of taking old one out and new one in?
(just incase i need to replace it)

Cheers

Hetti

FelixTCat 16:18 21 Aug 06

Hetti,

Basically, yes

You will probably have to install the drivers that come with the new card. The best way to tell is to install the new card and switch on - if the New Hardware wizard starts, you need the new drivers.

Make sure that you read the instructions, though. Just occasionally you have to install the drivers BEFORE you install the card.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 16:20 21 Aug 06

I am aware of WPA (version 1) PCI cards for less £30 including VAT. There is a Buffalo on eBuyer, for example.

ade.h 16:20 21 Aug 06

^than^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac