Replacing motherboard battery!

Flak999 07:53 15 Aug 06

Hi, My system clock has started losing time, so I am guessing the mobo battery is becoming discharged. I have a new battery, but I cannot find the specific procedure for changing the battery for my motherboard.

I have an Asus A8N-Sli deluxe mobo, I have searched the asus website with no luck, can any one here advise?

Thanks in advance.

Stuartli 08:31 15 Aug 06

According to this review "The CMOS battery and CMOS reset jumper are located just to the right of the lower 2 USB 2.0 headers."

See:

click here

Most common CMOS battery is probably the CR3020 and it should be/is normally quite easy to remove and replace it.

Gongoozler 10:07 15 Aug 06

This is a picture of the Asus A8N-Sli, click here.

The CMOS battery is the silver disk in the cntre of the left side. From the picture, I would guess that you simply spring back the clip and lift the battery out.

I'm surprised that such a new motherboard has an exhausted battery though. Is the motherboard losing a lot of time?

Stuartli 10:12 15 Aug 06

I would concur with your view that the battery may be exhausted.

In more than 10 years of using a computer system at home rather than at work I've never had to replace a motherboard battery.

p;3 10:47 15 Aug 06

I have just tried to look at the picture in your clikc here and I get that the link says forbidden site?

Gongoozler 11:15 15 Aug 06

It works for me! Try a google search for images of Asus A8N-Sli. I set the search for large images to find the one I linked to.

Gongoozler 11:18 15 Aug 06

The complete page was here click here

and the google page was click here

Flak999 20:31 15 Aug 06

Thanks all for your input, I know where the battery is and I have a replacement. I also thought that it is very early for the battery to be running flat. The board is just over a year old.

My real question is about the procedure for replacement. Will I lose all of my cmos data? or will it be retained? should I make a note of all of my bios settings before replacement? Is there some way to print out the bios information?

Am I barking up the wrong tree, could this be an indication of something else? In all other respects the system is running perfectly.

Thank you all for your help.

Stuartli 20:59 15 Aug 06

I would think that if you change the battery fairly rapidly you should be OK; normally you have to leave a battery out for around 10 minutes or more to clear the settings.

However, the secure way is to write down the settings first; it doesn't take long.

Stuartli 21:07 15 Aug 06

I would think that if you change the battery fairly rapidly you should be OK; normally you have to leave a battery out for around 10 minutes or more to clear the settings.

However, the secure way is to write down the settings first; it doesn't take long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos