replacing memory

Alf58 18:35 31 Jul 05

My computer has two memory slots currently fitted with two 256 DDR memory chips. Is it possible to replace one of the chips with say a 500mhz chip and retain the other chip leaving a total of 756mhz? Or do I have to replace both chips or remove the one chip which I have not replaced which would defeat the object if the new single chip was 500mhz. Machine is a Medion Power Plus 2880, with a Microstar Ms 6533 motherboard using a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz processor.

Curio 19:54 31 Jul 05

to establish what your memory upgrade can be.
click here

DieSse 20:21 31 Jul 05

Even if you do, I doubt you would notice any difference in all honesty. The occasions where 756Mb (NOT mhz - which is something different) will perform better than 512Mb are few and far between.

DieSse 20:22 31 Jul 05

PS - if your system uses Dual-Channel RAM - you will probably lose Dual-Channel working if you upgrade only one RAM module. This would slow the system down.

Rayuk 20:28 31 Jul 05

click here
Supports up to 2Gb so you should be ok,what os are you using if Win98 not worth the bother as 512Mb is optimal.

Alf58 23:50 31 Jul 05

Mr Curio,

The Crucial site usually sends me to The USA even if I click on the UK flag. It also does not make it clear if I have to upgrade memory in pairs: So I get US dollar pricing and no answer to my question: waste of time really.

I'm running Win XP.

Thanks to all the replies: looks like no one is 100% sure one way or another.

DieSse 23:59 31 Jul 05

I checked your motherboard and it is not dual channel - so you can have two different size RAM modules without problems.

If you chhose to do so, it's normally recommended to put the larger module in the first slot.

However my comments about whether it's worth it or not, still stand.

dan11 00:01 01 Aug 05

Here you go click here. If you can afford it, buy two of these click here

In my opinion, going from 512Mb to 1 gig will give you a good boost.

You could just replace one memory chip, or both.

Alf58 00:58 01 Aug 05

Thanks for the information everyone. Now all I have to do is see my virtual bank manager!

User-312386 08:43 01 Aug 05

click here

you need PC2100

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…