Replacing Mainboard on laptop - worth it?

Kilty 11:07 31 May 09

I just wanted to ask if the cost and hassel of replacing a mainboard on a laptop was worth it? I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 and the graphics card is no longer working (Geforce go 7600, common problem, no warning from HP!!).

Is it worth buying a new mainboard and replacing it, or saving the money towards a new laptop?

Also, is it possible to buy a laptop with a replacable graphics card, as this seems like an expensive fault on a laptop.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

kidsis 11:19 31 May 09

how old is the laptop? I do know that laptop motherboards are expensive though some do find them on e bay. I'm sure you can get the manual for your laptop on the HP site if you do go ahead. I don't think it is something I would tackle for various reasons, one of which is that it can be difficult to get some screws out of laptops. I speak from experience there. I was told at the time that some manufacturers glue some screws in to place depending on where they are; I have also heard others say that when trying to take a laptop apart they have come across screws that were "stripped" - not honestly sure what that means!! Yes some laptops do come with 'proper' graphics cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…