Replacing Laptop Graphics Card

Kilty 13:27 12 Mar 09

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G30 and the Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 graphics card has broken. Ive replaced the drivers with no success. I would like to know if it is possible to replace the graphics card. I have read on other posts about the cards being welded into place, is this the case?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

woodchip 13:37 12 Mar 09

Not possible, its part of the Motherboard

Kilty 13:38 12 Mar 09

Is there any way of working round it?

Thanks for reply and anymore help.

woodchip 13:45 12 Mar 09

Not sure you may be able to get a PCMCIA graphics. Will have a look in google

T0SH 13:55 12 Mar 09

Most modern laptops have graphics chips surface mounted directly on the motherboard so upgrade is not an option

Cheers HC

woodchip 13:59 12 Mar 09

Don't think its the answer as they are for connecting a External Monitor. so it would mean a Expensive new motherboard, Why do you think the Graphics as Gone, Is the Screen just Black? The graphics card would let you run a External Monitor so it could be used as a Desktop. According to this they do not exist click here cannot find any

This may also be of some Help click here

Kilty 14:10 12 Mar 09

When starting up windows there are verticle lines down the screen (Windows XP start up screen). After windows has started I go into list all hardware and there is exclamation marks on the graphics card. Ive tried to reinstall drivers, with no success, so I think its a bigger problem.

All files have been transfered to my desktop and a friend installed windows xp again, so have tried to install drivers on this and still the same.

I hope this helps someone point me in the right direction. Seems a waste if just the graphics card is at fault.

Thanks for all replies and anymore help given.

jack 14:21 12 Mar 09

So to prove the graphics card theory- as opposed to a LCD screen on the lappy[there are thing that go awry here too] Connect your DeskTop monitor to the external port on the lappy and- check if you have to make any key presses to make the switch-[some models/makes you do some do it themselves]
If it turns out to be no go- then as stated dud graphics- there for MoBo therefore new machine is the most economical route.
How ever there are screen things that can go wrong that are possible fixable at moderate cost.
These are the ribbon connector between screen and the computer body- much opening and closing will in time cause a fracture in one of the lines. Also
the inverter for the back light can give trouble.
This sort of thing is fixable.

MaxUpload 14:29 12 Mar 09

This is a known problem.

Maybe all is not lost : click here

The piece about a Bios update probably not valid but the rest of the article is.

Good luck.

Kilty 15:24 12 Mar 09

Thanks for all replies. I tried running it through a second screen with the same effect. I have had a read of the suggested pages and this does seem like a common problem. Unfortunatley, it is out of the criterea for the toshiba repair program

I have one last question before it goes in the bin, is there anyway of adding a second graphics card and disabling the faulty intergrated one (as you would do on a desktop)? Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

Thanks again for all your help and any more given.

Graphicool1 16:01 12 Mar 09

click here
"The XG Station is an external graphics card that allows laptop users to enjoy high end graphics performance while plugged in. As the XG Station is an external graphics it can be unplugged when portability is needed.

The XG Station connects to any notebook’s ExpressCard slot and provides a PCI Express x16 slot for graphics cards. Since ASUS has opted to equip the XG Station with a standard PCI Express x16 slot, the station can be equipped with any PCI Express based graphics card: AMD, NVIDIA or even Matrox. ASUS launched the default XG Station with an NVIDIA 7900GS powered graphics card.

The XG Station is powered externally. A separate power brick plugs directly into the adaptor.

An integrated LCD display and control also grace the XG Station. The display is customizable and can display information such as frame rate, fan speed, GPU temperature and more while the control knob can change various settings of the XG Station such as the core and memory clocks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017