Replacing laptop graphics card?

mikegm7 13:10 18 Nov 05

A few times recently my laptop screen has gone suddenly black,and am left with a ghost image of what was there. In case my graphics card does suddenly packup, how easy is it to replace and where would I shop online for a replacement one, bearing in mind I have in the past built my own desktop. (HP Pavilion..XP)

Chegs ®™ 13:19 18 Nov 05

Laptops in general are not really user servicable.Can you tell us the exact make/model of laptop?

amonra 13:59 18 Nov 05

oohhoo !!! Dont mess unless you have quite a bit of experience with laptops. You can cause havoc quite unintentionally. Also, as Chegs says, parts are not freely available to us plebs.

mikegm7 14:08 18 Nov 05

It is a HP Pavilion ZE5252....does that help?

Chegs ®™ 14:33 18 Nov 05

Slightly,it depends on whether its a KB or KC model.The KB series has onboard graphics,which aren't upgradable,the KC series comes with either an "ATI Mobility Radeon graphics accelerator with 16 or 32 MB DDR graphics memory, 4x AGP graphics capability."

Which could be upgraded,but not by much.Mobile GC's are not "my thing" as I haven't ever encountered one in the machines I'm frequently asked to "have a look at"

Chegs ®™ 14:37 18 Nov 05

Slight rearrangement of model series,its the KC thats got onboard graphics,the KB has the seperate ATI cards.

keewaa 14:46 18 Nov 05

Sorry for lack of deatils, I will repost if i can find info, but I remember reading somewhere that many laptop screen problem are caused by a faulty electronic card, easily replaced at home (nothing with laptops is as easy as PCs), costing less than £50. I can't remember the name of the card thingy, maybe someone else can?

mikegm7 15:36 18 Nov 05

KB or KC doesn't ring a bell!! (Can't check, I am now at work!) But I am pretty sure it has ATI Mobility Radeon BUT it has 64mb, with 4x AGP.(so possibly a KC) So if it is a faulty elecrtonic card where would I find it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 18 Nov 05

Service manual click here

think keewaa is refering to the screen inverter card for the back lights

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…