Replacing knackered PC and some answers req.

NChick 23:50 12 Dec 09

The PC I'm looking at getting is a Presario.

"320 GB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm)"
(I need to put two other IDE HDDs in it - can I do this?)

"NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9100 GPU (VGA port)"
(I've got a slightly better AGP card, waiting. Can I use it in the "new" machine?)

"2 external optical drive bays, 1 internal HDD bay
1 PCI-Express 16x (free)
3 PCI-Express 1x (3 free)
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 in front)
1 FireWire®-IEEE-1394 ports"
(Apart from the USB [the only thing I recognise; knackered PC is apparently without the rest], what the hell is this?)
I'm this close to buying it right this second, but there's little point unless I can at least put my HDDs on (very valuable data). Keeping my graphics card would be nice but it's not absolutely necessary.
Replies quick, please - money is tight (DWP haven't been paying benefits and there's less money in the bank account than there should be) and this PC I'm looking at is a very good deal.

retep888 00:32 13 Dec 09

<<1 PCI-Express 16x (free)
3 PCI-Express 1x (3 free)>>

<<"NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9100 GPU (VGA port)"
(I've got a slightly better AGP card, waiting. Can I use it in the "new" machine?)>>

It's onboard graphic and you can't put AGP card in it,it only takes PCI-Express graphic cards.

<<320 GB SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive (7200 rpm)"
(I need to put two other IDE HDDs in it - can I do this? >>

It should have IDE connection onboard(not 100% sure,no model number shown),and you can connect 2 IDE HDDs to if it does.

NChick 00:33 13 Dec 09

Okay on the AGP front. Bit of a pain in the rear, though.
Mobo specifics follow:
click here

NChick 00:36 13 Dec 09

Oh, does the lack of stature on this motherboard (and case) mean that I'll have to buy extra-small cards and parts for upgrades?

retep888 01:14 13 Dec 09

If you want to connect your 2 IDE HDDs to it ,you might have a problem here,it has no IDE connection onboard.(assume the link you posted is the actual motherboard you're getting)

However you can either get a USB caddy for IDE click here or USB to IDE adapter click here

<<Oh, does the lack of stature on this motherboard (and case) mean that I'll have to buy extra-small cards and parts for upgrades?>>

It's a micro-ATX motherboard,takes normal size parts which go in the mini case alright as long as you don't get those giant graphic cards.

NChick 13:36 13 Dec 09

Ah yes, I'd been looking at USB caddies, but I wasn't aware of the existence of adapters.

Yes, the link I posted is the motherboard in question - even in my panicked "Gotta find out if it's suitable RIGHT NOW!" state, I made sure to check ^_^

Are there any issues with Presarios? The model PC I'm getting is January this year.
I ask because I once had a Presario laptop which I wasn't too fond of - it seemed slower than it should have been "on paper".

I've had to order the PC (it's a lot of money but a very good deal), so there's less urgency now.
However, it's very different from the machine it's replacing, so I'm expecting some problems when I make the transition. Can I still use the IDE HDDs as "permanent" HDDs? I've heard tales of overheating problems causing data loss.
The most important HDD (which will be getting priority) is the old PC's C: drive. If I have it acting as D: (or even E: or F:) in the new machine, will I still be able to use the programs and games on it? Or will the different paths cause problems? If so, can I set the "old C" as the "new C" in the new machine, and have the new machine's C: set to D: and still run it as the "main" Windows drive? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 13 Dec 09

can I set the "old C" as the "new C" in the new machine, and have the new machine's C: set to D:

NO
The drivers on the old machine will not run on the new and it will probably have windows 7 instaed of your old OS.
You cannot swap programs and games they will have to be reinstalled to the new machine from there CDs oe exe. setup files. some old programs and games probably won't run on your new OS.
Its unlikely you will get many of your programs to run from an external drive.

You can swap / transfer pictures data documents etc.

Makes you wish you weren't upgrading doesn't it.
:0)

NChick 13:54 13 Dec 09

I think the new machine will have Vista (yuck) if anything.
And hello again, Fruit Bat /\0/\ ^_^
Hmm, well, if I can't try that swapping idea, can I just have the "old C" as a storage device? Move over what I can to the new C (and reinstall the rest), adjust drivers as necessary for my games and programs, and have the old C as storage?
"Makes you wish you weren't upgrading doesn't it.
:0)" - certainly does. My old machine was more than enough for me, but repair costs would only get me back a PC on its last legs again. So I'd probably face the same problem again. As much as I don't want to (and as much as my bank account doesn't want me to), I have to start afresh. The "new" (refurbished) PC will arrive in about a week.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 13 Dec 09

You can remove the old C: and use in a caddy as storage or back up.

Or even just network the two machine together via your router. or a couple of wireless cards /dongles.

User-1229748 14:04 13 Dec 09

they are as reliable as any other in their price range in my somewhat limited experience.

NChick 14:10 13 Dec 09

Can't network 'em Fruit Bat /\0/\; the old PC is stuck in a restart loop. Can't get anywhere near Winduhs, and I don't fancy attempting any kind of data transfer via the command line (might have attempted that at one time).

Here's the PC in question
click here

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Main differences between the two being form-factor (already covered to some extent by retep888), different standards (IDE versus SATA, AGP versus PCI-E), and the possibility of Vista (yuck again; I'll probably downgrade it to XP once I find my CD).
I've been missing some games in particular - The Sims 2, Warcraft 3 : The Frozen Throne, and Dungeon Siege 2. Are there are problems presented by the new machine that will make these difficult/impossible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced