Replacing an internal modem...

mike2004 10:05 16 Sep 04

Hi,

Recently purchased a system from ctech2000, unfortunately it has a dodgy internal modem. They are sending me a replacement... as I am non techy, do you think I will I any problems replacing the modem?.

Strangely Brown 10:14 16 Sep 04

If it's the same model etc. and the drivers have already been loaded then it should be a simple enought task to swap out.

However, there can be some issues of logistics if it's a differnet model that may require you to :-

1) Remove the exisiting drivers
2) Remove the card
3) Reboot the machine without a modem inserted
4) Install the new drivers
5) Install the new modem

The above is basically some of the experience I have had in the past.

Unfortunately, until you receive the replacement, you won't know what needs to be done. Hopefully they will include full instructions.

The physical swapping of the modem cards is a simple process. Do you have an anti-static wristband?

mike2004 17:28 16 Sep 04

Thanks for the info. I am not sure which modem they will send, hopefully not the same as the dodgy one (QTEC?), can't find then anywhere. I will get an anti-static wristband first.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…